SIMION & BACIU is delighted to announce that Cosmina Maria Simion, Managing Partner of the firm, was shortlisted as a finalist for the category Best Regulatory Lawyer or In-House Counsel of the Year at the VIXIO GamblingCompliance Global Regulatory Awards 2023 (GRAs). Cosmina continued to be the only Romanian lawyer to achieve such an exceptional performance, following her previous nomination as the first Romanian lawyer to be considered for the distinction, in 2022, and is one of the only 10 finalists for the 2023 award.
Cosmina is credited for excellence in her legal work in the regulatory spectrum, with a particular focus on the gambling industry, which has distinctively set her apart from the rest of the legal professionals active in this field.
On her nomination, Cosmina Maria Simion stated:
“I am honored to be nominated for the 2023 Best Regulatory Lawyer of the Year award. Being part of this distinguished group of finalists, as the only Romanian legal professional, is particularly motivating for me. It demonstrates that guiding clients through highly intricate compliance matters with ethics, discipline, and knowledge is recognized and valued beyond geographical boundaries. It underscores the belief that values, both professional and personal, truly do make a difference. I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this celebration of professionals!”.
In their 7th year, the VIXIO GRAs recognize and celebrate the achievements of individuals, teams and businesses across the gambling landscape who have excelled in the field of compliance, corporate social responsibility and safer gambling over the course of the year, according to the organizer’s statements. The GRAs are regarded as a reference for the gambling industry in terms of independent distinctions, showcasing the individuals and the companies that are leading the way in this sector.
The 2023 Best Regulatory Lawyer or In-House Counsel of the Year category features 10 independently commended legal professionals, from both in-house and private practices active in the USA, UK, Greece, Portugal and Romania.
Cosmina’s theses highlights her exceptional professional parcourse, including during last year, as she is:
- part of a selected group of advisors liaising with the relevant Romanian authority on behalf of clients or industry organizations, constantly involved in discussions for clarifying regulatory issue that may emerge from the application of the current relevant legislation (after being actively involved in the review and drafting of the Romanian gaming legal framework).
- advocating on compliance matters (such as tech, privacy, advertising, consumer protection etc.), including through her activity with the American Chambers of Commerce in Romania (AmCham). Her advocacy activity includes presenting on regulatory topics with 2023 examples including moderating the ICE 2023 panel on “Global trends in marketing and advertising regulation”.
Also, Cosmina acts as First Vice President of IMGL (International Masters of Gaming Law), the pre-eminent global gambling law networking and educational organization shaping the future of gaming law.
- part of a selected group of legal advisors liaising directly with the relevant Romanian authority on behalf of clients or industry organizations; Cosmina is constantly involved in discussions for clarifying any regulatory issue that may emerge from the application of the current relevant legislation (after being a key contributor to the creation of the Romanian legal framework).
Her shortlisting for the 2023 Best Regulatory Lawyer award follows a string of accolated that Cosmina received during the year and exclusively regarding her activity in the gaming & gambling field, such as being:
- included in the Global Market Leaders list for Gambling & Gaming by Chambers and Partners
- recognized as a Leading Individual in Gambling Law by Legal 500
- awarded Top Lawyer in TMT, Gambling Law at the Lawyers Gala organized by FinMedia
The winner of the Best Regulatory Lawyer or In-House Counsel of the Year award will be announced at the ceremony that will take place on November 29, 2023 at the De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms London. Details about the VIXIO GRAs and the list of practitioners and firms active in the gambling industry shortlisted for this year’s awards is available HERE.
About SIMION & BACIU:
A law firm that brings a different approach to legal services and independently acclaimed client service, SIMION & BACIU is a reference on the Romanian business law market, with a strong propensity toward offering legal services with strong regulatory content.
We are a team of over 25 professionals that provides a tailored relationship model to clients and business partners. We operate based on a consulting-litigation matrix structure, with main areas of practice including Intellectual Property, Consumer Protection & Advertising and Data Privacy, Gaming and Gambling regulatory, Technology & Media, Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions, Pharmaceutical/Medical regulatory and Disputes Resolution.
SIMION & BACIU and members of its team are active in third-party professional organizations such as AmCham (American Chamber of Commerce in Romania), INTA (International Trademark Association), ECTA (European Communities Trademark Association), IMGL (International Masters of Gaming Law), and Concordia (Employers’ Confederation) , thus, being permanently connected to the evolution and trends of the Romanian and international business and legal environment.
Members of our team are independently acknowledged by reputable international directories including Legal 500, Chambers and Partners, Managing IP, Who’sWho Legal and WTR 1000.
Our growing reputation is reconfirmed by international and domestic distinctions, including:
- Recognition as a Leading Firm by the leading British publication Legal500, since the establishment of our firm, in 2019
- Recognition as a leading firm by Chambers and Partners, one of the most prestigious publication evaluating the activity of law firms across over 200 jurisdictions
- Law Firm of the Year in Romania distinction awarded by Managing IP (2021, 2022 and 2023)
- Recognition as a Top Firm by IP STARS (2020, 2021, 2022), Trademark Firm of the Year in Romania at the IP Global Awards (2022), Recommended by IAM Patent 1000 (2023) and Gold-band by WTR (2023)